Whether you have plans to travel abroad for work or leisure, passport is a necessity. So what exactly is this passport & how to get a passport? Let’s answer these questions one by one.
What is Passport?
As we all know passport is an official document issued by a government. Passport serves like an ID and Address (citizenship) Proof of the person holding it. Passport gives the person the right to travel to & from from foreign country, under the protection of their own country.
Every Indian who is willing to travel to other country from India is required to hold a valid passport or travel document. Under the Passports Act 1967, the Government of India may issue different types of passports and travel documents.
Now you may ask what are the different types of passport & which one should I apply for? And if you are already holding a passport which type of passport are you holding? Read on & you will know it all.
Types of Passport issued by Govt. of India:
- Ordinary / Regular Passport: The ordinary/ regular passport is issued to general citizens of India for ordinary travel purposes such as for doing jobs in other countries, for studies abroad and for business trips. This is a Type “P” passport where P stands for personal. It has a deep Blue Cover & has 36 pages or 60 pages.
- Diplomatic Passport: A diplomatic passport is a passport which is issued to someone who must travel internationally on official duty abroad. Diplomatic passports are classically given to diplomats, consuls, top ranking government officials and diplomatic couriers when they are posted overseas, and they may be issued to other people within the government as well, depending on the circumstances.Usually applications for Diplomatic & Official passports are entertained only at the Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) Division, Patiala House, New Delhi. But, you can also apply at the Passport Office (regional passport office) attached to your present residential address, if you live in outside the National Capital Region.This is a Type “D” passport where D stands for Diplomat. It has a Maroon Cover.
- Official Passport: An official passport is a passport which is issued to someone who has to travel internationally on official state business (on Government work). These passports are issued mainly to people who should travel, rather than to people who are being assigned or posted outside the country. This is a Type “S” passport where S stands for Service. It has a White Cover.
- Emergency Certificate and Certificate of Identity: Requirements for issue of an Emergency Certificate for one-way travel to India in case of non-availability of a valid Passport with the applicant and where a new passport cannot be issued immediatelyNo passport will ordinarily be issued in such cases. The applicant will be issued an Emergency Certificate after confirmation of his / her personal details and after his / her claim to be an Indian national is fully recognized through documents or by concerned Indian authorities.
To learn about the process for applying for each type of passport. Click the links below:
- How to apply for regular/ordinary passport in India
- How to apply for Diplomatic passport in India
- How to apply for Official passport in India